Healthy Kids Day
Summer with Healthy Kids Day at YMCA Camp Hyde
This is a free community event!
RESERVE YOUR SPOT - Register Online Today
On Saturday, April 29, the Greater Wichita YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active at the annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families. The event, which is scheduled from 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. at YMCA Camp Hyde (26201 W 71st St S, Viola), features activities such as canoeing, nature hikes, healthy cooking demonstrations, arts, crafts and camp activities to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,600 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically – this summer learning loss is more pronounced among students from low-income families. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y wants families to focus on “charging” kids up with enthusiasm for themselves and their potential.
“When a child is healthy, happy motivated, and excited something amazing is inevitably going to result,” says Debbie Ogle, Senior Program Director, Greater Wichita YMCA. “We in the potential of all children, and we strive to help kids find that potential within themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer,” said Andrea Eliot, Branch Director, Child Care & Camp, Greater Wichita YMCA.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
The Greater Wichita YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day features:
- Pony Rides with YMCA Frontier Camp
- Fun with Food including tastings and take home seedlings
- Story & Activity Time with the Wichita Public Library
- Kids Fire Safety with the local Fire Department
- Soccer Skills Clinic with YMCA Farha Sports Camp
- Nature Exploration with Great Plains Nature Center
- PLUS, bounce houses, a family obstacle course and nature hike, face painting, canoeing, the Alpine Climbing Tower, tube slides, and more.
All kids deserve the best summer ever, and Delta is proud to be the national sponsor of Healthy Kids Day, which kicks off a healthy, active and engaged summer for kids throughout the country. Locally, Healthy Kids Day is sponsored by Mirror Inc., Big Sky Party Rentals, and Youth as Resources.
For more information, contact Debbie Ogle at 316-269-1610 ext. 5541 or visit www.ymcawichita.org/news/HKD.
About Greater Wichita YMCA
The Greater Wichita YMCA is a non-profit organization that serves 287,000 kids and adults through child care, camping, urban outreach programs and healthy lifestyles activities. Nearly three out of four kids in Sedgwick, Butler and Harvey Counties participate in YMCA activities and more than 84,000 participants receive free and assisted programs. Within the YMCA’s financial capabilities, no person is refused program or membership privileges because of inability to pay. ymcawichita.org
About the Y
The Y is one of the nation’s leading nonprofits strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Across the U.S., 2,700 Ys engage 22 million men, women and children – regardless of age, income or background – to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve the nation’s health and well-being, and provide opportunities to give back and support neighbors. Anchored in more than 10,000 communities, the Y has the long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver, lasting personal and social change. ymca.net