Summer is quickly approaching and that means kids will be losing their daily schedules including social time, physical activity, learning and mental stimulation, and all the benefits to nurturing imagination and healthy spirit, mind, and body that go with it.
The Greater Wichita YMCA offers support, year-round, for the entire community to nurture health and wellness with a particular emphasis on children. Our Healthy Kids Day event - on SATURDAY, APRIL 27, 2019 from 1-4:30PM is intended to spotlight the need for parents to make a plan for their kids summer and to ensure they get enough activity, learning, and fun to keep them growing and happy. The event is part of a YMCA of the USA initiative and our local event will include:
- Demonstrations and information for many of our summer offerings and family, and youth programs
- A 5K train run and 1-mile Fun Run/Walk (with free t-shirts for early registrants and participants)
- Tours of our own Camp Hyde and fun like our kangaroo bounce and climbing wall (weather permitting)
|1-2PM||Check-In and On-Site Registration (at CAMP HYDE in Viola, Kansas)|
|1-3PM||Community Booths and Demonstrations|
|3-3:15PM||Group Stretch for All 1-Mile Fun Run / Walk Participants|
|3:15-3:45PM||1-Mile Fun Run / Walk Starts|
|3:45PM||Awards and Prizes|
HEALTHY KIDS DAY FAQ
Here is more information, based on common questions, about our Healthy Kids Day event and how you can participate:
- WHAT IS HEALTHY KIDS DAY?
A FREE community event that will include fun active play and educational activities to keep kids moving and learning, in order to maintain healthy habits and academic skills to achieve goals and reach their full potential. Nearly 1.2 million children and their families are expected to participate in YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day at more than 1,600 locations across the country.
- WHERE IS HEALTHY KIDS DAY HELD?
- WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE PLANNED FOR HEALTHY KIDS DAY?
This absolutely FREE event (open to the public - NO YMCA MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED) will feature a number of family-friendly activities including:
5k and 1 mile fun run/walk open to the community - NO YMCA MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED.
- Program Demonstrations
- Group Exercise Classes
- Boots and Exhibits
- Walking on Camp Trails
- Kangaroo Jump and Climbing Tower (weather permitting)
- Unsanctioned (untimed) 5K (First 150 registrants will receive a free t-shirt at the event)
- 1-Mile Fun Run / Walk (First 100 registrants will receive a free t-shirt at the event)
- HOW DO I REGISTER FOR HEALTHY KIDS DAY?
- Registration Cards can be downloaded and printed (and returned to a branch), or are available at the Front Desk of all Greater Wichita YMCA locations to be completed starting Monday, 03/18/19. All registration forms - one person per entry form - must be returned by 5PM on Tuesday, 04/09/19. NOTE - You do not need to register for Healthy Kids Day to attend and participate in the afternoon's activities except the 5K and 1-Mile Fun Run / Walk events.
- WILL THERE BE PRIZES AVAILABLE?
- Yes. Some booths and demonstrations will have giveaways and take-home items for all participants. In addition, there will be t-shirts available for early registrants for both races. Finally, all who complete the 5K or one-mile event will be entered a drawing for prizes including: FREE monthly program registrations, FREE 3-Packs of 30-minute Private Training Sessions, and a FREE 12-month Membership as the grand prize. All prizes can be redeemed and used at any Greater Wichita YMCA location.
- WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS?
Members and community members wanting to attend the event or who have general questions can contact our event coordinator, SANDY KIMBALL by email or phone at 316.776.8257.
MAKE A SUMMER PLAN
Looking for ideas and support for making sure your kids have a great summer? Consider these other resources and offerings of the Greater Wichita YMCA:
ANOTHER REASON Y
The Greater Wichita YMCA is dedicated to a healthy, engaged community and we offer hundreds of support options and programs to help including: