MAY RECIPE OF THE MONTH
Asian Lettuce Wraps
(a favorite in our Jr. Chef Academy classes)
Servings: 4 Ingredients:
- 1 head of sturdy lettuce such as Bibb, Romaine or Iceberg
- ½ c. reduced sodium chicken broth
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean or more)
- 1 small bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. powdered ginger
- ¼ c. finely sliced green onions, light green and dark green parts only
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Prep the lettuce: Separate the head of lettuce into individual leaves. Rinse and pat dry using clean kitchen towels/paper towels.
- Cook ground beef in skillet, breaking up the meat. Drain any excess fat.
- Whisk the broth, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl and set aside.
- When meat is done cooking add the bell pepper, carrots, garlic and ginger powder.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in the reserved broth mixture and cook for a few more minutes to thicken the broth into a sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions. Spoon ¼ to 1/3 cup of the filling into prepared lettuce leaves, roll up and enjoy!
Complete the meal with a glass of low-fat milk and frozen blueberries.
Nutrition classes, recipes, & tips at ymcawichita.org/nutrition. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org