5 Ingredient Italian Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 8oz. can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, browned, fat drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cracked red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil to prevent sticking.
- Open can of tomato sauce and stir in the Italian seasoning and set aside for a few minutes to allow flavor to develop.
- Halve zucchini lengthwise. Hollow out the zucchini by scooping out the pulp, reserving the shells - a teaspoon works well for this.
- Mix cooked sausage with about half to 3/4 of the tomato sauce (depends on how saucy you like it). Use the meat/sauce mixture to "stuff" the zucchini shells.
- Place the "stuffed" zucchini into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and golden brown on top. Sprinkle with cracked red pepper.
Complete the meal with a bowl of fresh peaches!