October Recipe of the Month
Easy Skillet Shakshuka
Don't let the name scare you - it's delish
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves glaric, minced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (try 93/7%)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 28 oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 4-6 eggs
- Optional: sliced green onion, avocado, crusty whole grain bread, crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat, add onion, saute 3-5 minutes until soft. Stir in garlic, cooking for 30 seconds.
- Add beef and cook 7-10 minutes until browned. Then add tomatoes and remaining spices, cooking another 5-7 minutes or until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Use a spoon to make 4-5 wells in the beef and tomato mixture, keeping them evenly spaced. Crack one egg into the center of each while being careful not to break the yoke. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook another 5-7 minutes or until the whites are set and the yokes are slightly runny.
- Top shakshuka with green onion, avocado slices or feta. Serve immediately with the crusty whole grain bread.
Complete with a bowl of fresh berries!