Children spend so much time indoors, and off of their feet. At summer camp, children spend their day moving, running, hiking, jumping, dancing, climbing, biking; they almost forget what it feels like to sit!
We're counting down the TOP TEN reasons why every child deserves a camp experience. Check back each day for a new reason why!
10. Physical Activity: Children spend so much time indoors, and off of their feet. At summer camp, children spend their day moving, running, hiking, jumping, dancing, climbing, canoeing; they almost forget what it feels like to sit and they're sure to be exhausted when they get home.
8. Resiliency: Our nurturing environment yields encouragement allowing children to endure setbacks, take on unknown challenges and even try difficult things a second time to experience improvement. During the enrollment process, let us know if your child has any special needs so we can make sure to adjust activities to fit them.
7. Friendships: Summer camp fosters peer friendships and adult mentoring relationships that have positive youth development effects, build resiliency and encourage healthy decision making. More than 73% of families reported that their child made new friends during camp.
6. Unplugged: Camp is a vacation from TV, laptops and cell phones and a window into the creative powers of children. Here, kids encounter real people, doing real activities offering the socialization they will need to be successful. Tens of thousands of teens are annually enrolled in “Leader in Training” and “Counselor in Training” programs every summer at YMCA day camps that provide valuable responsibilities in leadership.
5. Skills: Through the right instruction and safe equipment, kids build talent in athletics, arts, adventure and interpersonal relationships. Simply through the vast array of activities we offer, every child is bound to discover and develop personal interests. Speciality Camps are a great example of this! Specialty camps focus on particular programming specialties, such as teen adventure, music, sports, science, arts, horseback riding or farm/ranch experiences. Specialty camps may also be offered for campers with special needs that are ideal for youth with developmental disabilities, physical and mental health challenges or other issues that may require special attention.