YOU CAN TAKE CONTROL
Can you measure a healthy life? Sure, you can— by the cup, the ounce, and the block. If you’re at risk for type 2 diabetes, you can make small, measurable, changes that can reduce your risk and help you live a happier, healthier life.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 1 in 3 people are pre-diabetic
- 10% of those who are at risk will transition to a diabetic state in the next year
- By losing 7% of your body weight and exercising 150 minutes a week, risk for diabetes can be decreased by 58%
DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps you take control of your health by adopting habits to reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes and improve your overall health and well-being. Research by the National Institutes of Health has proven that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can reduce the number of cases of type 2 diabetes by nearly 60%.
The program provides a supportive environment where participants work together in a small group to learn about healthier eating and increasing their physical activity in order to reduce their risk for developing diabetes. The program, which is led by a trained Lifestyle Coach in a classroom setting, is delivered over a 12-month period, beginning with 16 weekly sessions followed by monthly maintenance.
In order to qualify for the Greater Wichita YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be:
- 18-years-old or older
- Overweight (BMI ≥ 25)
- Diagnosed as pre-diabetic† or at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes
- $429.00 includes three-month Greater Wichita YMCA FAMILY membership. Participants can pay at once or with six, monthly, $71.50 AutoDraft payments
- DAY AND TIME: Wednesdays, 6-7PM
- START DATE: Wednesday, June 12, 2019
- LOCATION: Newton YMCA
- INSTRUCTOR: Tricia
- DAY AND TIME: Mondays, 6-7PM
- START DATE: Monday, August 5, 2019
- LOCATION: East YMCA (9333 E. Douglass Ave.)
- INSTRUCTOR: Frances
WATCH SABRINA'S STORY
Are you at risk for diabetes? Take our online self-assessment to find out
TOP RISK FACTORS FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES:
- Female having had a baby weighing more than 9lbs.
- Having a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Having a BMI of greater than 25
- Younger than 65 and get little to no physical activity
- 65 years of age or older
- Having an elevated A1c or fasting glucose
- The primary risk factor for Type 2 Diabetes is poor nutrition and physical inactivity
PRAISE FOR OUR DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
"I am thrilled that I am getting guidance, support and a positive attitude to make the changes to better myself"
– Program Participant
"I love the support from the class – it is great accountability!"
– Program Participant
EMAIL or CALL 316.776.8178 our Intake Coordinator to find out more about registering for an upcoming session.
ANOTHER REASON Y
The Greater Wichita YMCA offers hundreds of options, programs, and ways to support your pursuit of a healthy spirit, mind, and body including: