Diabetes Prevention Program - Wellness
Are you at risk for diabetes? Take our online self-assessment to find out
TOP RISK FACTORS FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES:
- Female having had a baby weighing more than 9lbs.
- Having a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Having a BMI of greater than 25
- Younger than 65 and get little to no physical activity
- 65 years of age or older
- Having an elevated A1c or fasting glucose
- The primary risk factor for Type 2 Diabetes is poor nutrition and physical inactivity
DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps you take control of your health by adopting habits to reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes and improve your overall health and well-being. Research by the National Institutes of Health has proven that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can reduce the number of cases of type 2 diabetes by nearly 60%.
The program provides a supportive environment where participants work together in a small group to learn about healthier eating and increasing their physical activity in order to reduce their risk for developing diabetes. The program, which is led by a trained Lifestyle Coach in a classroom setting, is delivered over a 12-month period, beginning with 16 weekly sessions followed by monthly maintenance.
In order to qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI ≥ 25) and at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes†.
"I am thrilled that I am getting guidance, support and a positive attitude to make the changes to better myself" – Program Participant
"I love the support from the class – it is great accountability!" – Program Participant
Program Cost: $429.00
- The program includes 3 month free YMCA FAMILY membership, a $161.70 value.
- Option of 6 monthly drafts of $71.50
- Income based pricing is available on this program for those that qualify- contact us for more details
Location: Downtown YMCA
Days: Starts Wednesday March 14, 2018
Time: 10:30-11:30 am
Location: East YMCA
Days: Starts Monday April 2, 2018
Time: 6:30-7:30 pm
Download the brochure. Email our Intake Coordinator or phone: 316.776.8178.
Notice of Privacy Practices