The YMCA of the USA is a nationally-recognized leader in providing high school and college students and others wanting to pursue work as a lifeguard their first job. The responsibility is very real - our lifeguards are actually protecting and saving lives daily. The Greater Wichita YMCA hires hundreds of lifeguards each year - all-year long, but especially in the winter/spring/summer as our outdoor water park season approaches.
Our life guards work our family pools and outdoor water parks, supervise lap / lane pools, and, with additional certifications, teach swimming lessons, support our SPLASH Program, and support other aquatic programs we provide to 300,000+ people annually including up to 20,000/day - association-wide - in the summer.
To ensure we're building skills and leaders, we do require all lifeguards to earn or carry credentials and certifications - YMCA lifeguard certifications are portable/honored at other pools - and other skills. We provide job opportunities and the training and certifications needed.
YMCA LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
To participate in Greater Wichita YMCA Lifeguard Certification training you must:
- Be 16+ on the date of your first class
- Provide valid, photo I.D. verifying identity and date-of-birth
- Complete the in-pool Physical Competency Requirements (come prepared to swim) at first class session
- Attend all 37 hours of certification classes
- Successfully complete/pass written exam
The cost for our course is $250. The price for intended Greater Wichita YMCA lifeguards is reduced to $175 and the registration fee is 100% reimbursable upon completion of 350 hours of lifeguard time at Greater Wichita YMCA locations.
SPACE IS LIMITED:
Lifeguard Certification courses are open to all lifeguards wanting to be certified or re-certified however lifeguards working for the Greater Wichita YMCA are our top priority and will be enrolled before registration is opened to lifeguards not intending to work at our pools. Please contact program coordinator for more information.
TO RESERVE A SPOT:
- Contact Lori Spencer, by email or phone - 316.776.8821
- Speak with an Aquatics Director / Coordinator at a branch location
READY TO GET STARED?
Use the tiles below to find life guard openings and to find more information about our certification program.
UPCOMING LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSES (SPRING 2019)
MAY 2019 -
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA - Mon. 5/20 (5-7PM), Tues. 5/28, Wed. 5/29, Thurs. 5/30 (9AM-7PM), Fri. 5/31 (10AM-3PM)
JUNE 2019 -
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA - Mon. 6/3 (5-7PM), Fri. 6/7, Sat. 6/8. Sun. 6/9 (9AM-7PM)
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA - Mon. 6/10 (2-5PM), Thurs. 6/13, Fri. 6/14 (9AM-7PM), Sat. 6/15 (1-8PM)
Summer, Fall, and Winter 2019/2020 certification classes and timing TBD.
ANOTHER REASON Y
The Greater Wichita YMCA hires and trains hundreds of lifeguards and offers dozens of other options to support a healthy spirit, mind, and body including: